Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting into a groove...

Well, unlike the title of this post suggest, I was not in my blogging groove last night.  I had an interview at 8 o'clock last night, so by the time I got home, ate dinner and watched 1/2 of Top Chef: Just Desserts with JJ, I was ready to call it a night.  So, Keaton is down for his morning nap, so I thought I would get caught up.

Yesterday was another beautiful, fall day here in Chicago and it was our second time going to our Wrigleyville Meetup.  Lots of new faces (babies and mommies) and another confirmation that Meetup.com is probably the best thing that has ever happened to Keaton and me, here in Chicago.  This group is going to become a regular part of our week and these moms and babies will become a regular part of our lives--I love it!  It's nice to provide Keaton with an opportunity to interact with other children and adults, while still getting to be beside him the entire time. (Though yesterday he only played for a little while before conking out--check out the pic below!)  My only concern is that once the weather gets bad we may be stuck inside more than we'd like. (or we will have to start driving everywhere again.)

I am pretty proud that Keaton and I have now figured out how to regularly utilize public transportation!  The L' and the Metra are both part of our regular routine, our goal before we leave is to also utilize the bus system (at least once).  However, my problem with our L' and the Metra is that they have not made our ability to travel with a stroller an easy one.  A lot of the L' stops have elevators, our stop doesn't.  This means that if I want to take our stroller along that it has to be the umbrella stroller and it means that I have to carry Keaton in the Bjorn while carrying the umbrella stroller up the stairs and can put K in the stroller only once we get onto the L'.  UGH!  The worst news of all is that the Baby Bjorn is only built to carry a child up to 25lbs.  If you've been keeping up on my blog you know that Keaton is really only about 5 lbs. away from this---I'm terrified at what this will do to the ease of our travel.  Don't worry--I'll keep you updated.

In Andrea news: After my interview last night, I realize that no matter where I work, there will ALWAYS be a lack of knowledge regarding my profession.  I have really made it my goal to educate individuals/communities that I come in contact with about what Music Therapy is and how it works.  However, when I go in to interview for a part-time position and someone tells me that an individual with an Orff Certificate is comparable to what I do or the skills/knowledge that I possess, I become very frustrated and somewhat motivated.  I have decided that Music Therapy advocacy is going to be a big focus of mine--I hope that starting grad school will assist me in this goal and will change the understanding that many have of what a Board Certified Music Therapist is and what skills/abilities one possesses.

Stay tuned for more from the Boswell-Burns clan!

7 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your blog! A thought to consider while using public transit and a stroller not being really feasible; we use a Boba. It is an awesome front/back carrier for babies-toddlers and goes to 45 lbs! My lil man feels like he is light as a feather in it and he loves it! I have taken it on the light rail through Minneapolis and it was great to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momofamiracle! Thanks for liking the blog--would love to have you as a regular follower! I am going to look into the Boba TODAY! I have decided that my little one is by far the BEST workout ever and the bigger he gets, the better my workout! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a ton a research before I bought mine to make sure it was a good fit for our family. Not to sound uneducated, but what exactly is a Music Therapist? We have 4 therapist and that is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent question! A Music Therapist is a trained musician (proficient in guitar, piano and voice) and who has completed an approved Music Therapy program at an accredited 4 year college/university. A Music Therapist uses music to reach non-musical goals with individuals with a variety of needs (from premature infants to individuals with traumatic brain injury). These goals include cognitive (academic, memory, problem-solving) physical (gross and fine motor, gait) and social/emotional (depression, self-esteem) goals and objectives. The music is used to engage the client and to achieve appropriate use of the set skill/objective. The Music Therapist will then keep measurable/observable data to display the progress that music has helped the client to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me.... I now want to trade my special instructor for one of you!!!! Then maybe my son wouldn't scream through therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great career to have too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha...I think a lot of parents feel like this (after they come in contact with a Music Therapist)...you should look in your area for one. It is a great profession, though as you know NOTHING touches being a mommy!

    ReplyDelete